World-Class Testing Standards
Allana Buick & Bers, Inc. (ABBAE) is a full service Architectural Engineering firm specializing in building envelope systems including design, forensics, construction administration, and quality assurance services, like testing. Typical testing and verification services include mock-up testing, on-site testing, observation for quality assurance, water testing, and code compliance verification.
Testing can be used as a tool to verify compliance with construction documents, manufacturer’s published performance. For unproven or untested assemblies, prefabricated items (panels, windows, and curtain walls), and integration with discrete building systems, it reveals short or long term weaknesses in construction or fabrication. Testing and verification when used in conjunction with proper design and observations can be invaluable, and pays for itself many times over.
|Our forensic expertise includes:|
Lanais, balconies, and decks
Plaza and podium
|Slab on grade
Coatings and linings
Electronic Leak Detection
We can investigate complex building envelope leaks, developing strategies for temporary leak repairs and a rough order of magnitude cost for repairs, as well as long-term and permanent remedial measures. We use cutting-edge equipment to perform a variety of tests in accordance with ASTM and AAMA protocol for locating leak sources and building performance issues, including electronic leak detection (ELD).
ABBAE provides objective, independent third-party testing and commissioning of building construction to verify performance and compliance with project specifications and industry and manufacturer’s standards. Our specialized testing and consulting provides valuable risk management for owners, design professionals, manufacturers, and contractors. ABBAE’s expertise includes performance verification for building envelope assemblies for all types of construction, including commercial and industrial buildings, K-12 and higher educational facilities, multi-family and single family homes, and public projects such as airports and government owned buildings, high-rises, and low rise structures.
Construction performance testing for:
- Water Intrusion
- Air Infiltration
- Wind Uplift
- Energy Performance
- HVAC and Plumbing Systems
Performance testing is key to preventing the risk of water intrusion and associated litigation in new construction.
ABBAE maintains an inventory of the latest in building diagnostic equipment. Our digital thermal imaging equipment and in-house digital low energy X-Ray imaging equipment is operated by certified thermographers and engineers. ABBAE’s non-destructive moisture testing equipment includes Electronic Leak Detection (ELD), nuclear Troxler, and impedance field and resistance gauges. We also have a full digital microscopy laboratory for microscopic documentation of construction materials.
ABBAE is able to determine leak sources and causes of leaks by utilizing a variety of testing methods including ABBAE’s proven methods and AAMA and ASTM standards. We perform air and water testing on exterior wall elements, windows, curtain walls, roofing systems, below-grade waterproofing, podium slabs, balconies, lanais, stair landings, breezeways, ponds, swimming pools, fountains, plumbing systems, showers and bathrooms; and wall assemblies like, concrete, masonry, operable doors and windows, stucco, siding, and metal panels. Our ASTM testing methods include destructive, non-destructive, water-spray protocols, and electronic leak detection (ELD).
Electronic Leak Detection
ABBAE provides specialized leak detection and membrane performance testing with the most advanced equipment available to perform Electronic Leak Detection (ELD), that is precisely calibrated for each project condition and waterproofing membrane assembly. ABBAE’s highly trained technicians have extensive knowledge and are specialized in all types of waterproofing materials, assemblies, moisture intrusion investigations and forensics. Our proprietary ELD services include both high and low voltage testing, covering horizontal and vertical waterproofing membranes.
In addition to analytical testing, our technicians perform a comprehensive analysis of the waterproofing membrane, including a thorough visual inspection of all details, adjoining materials, and seals. The combined testing and observation investigation are provided in an accurately documented final photographic analysis report.
If, in the event failures or issues are discovered and at the direction of the client, ABBAE will promptly diagnose the issue, prepare a remediation plan for review, and implement repair and/or alteration procedures to assure the issues are resolved.
If leaks, deflection, etched glass, or other issues have become a concern, ABBAE can conduct a systematic evaluation of the curtain wall system, beginning with close visual inspection. ASTM provides test standards for the evaluation of air and water penetration, as well as structural performance of glass in curtain wall applications. Tests for water penetration, such as ASTM E1105, use a calibrated spray rack system with a positive air pressure differential to simulate wind-driven rain. ASTM E783 specifies test procedures for determining field air leakage at specific pressures.
Glazing that displays systematic scratches or other defects after installation may need to be evaluated for structural integrity. In such cases, a representative sample of glass units may be removed and tested under laboratory conditions. ASTM E997 is one test method for determining the probability of breakage for a given design load.
Tests We Offer
- AAMA 501-05: Test methods for exterior walls
- AAMA 501.1-17: Test method for water penetration of windows, curtain walls, and doors using dynamic pressure
- ASTM D5957-13: Standard guide for flood testing horizontal waterproofing installations
- ASTM D7877-14: Standard guide for electronic methods for detecting and locating leaks in waterproof membranes
- ASTM D7954-15a: Standard practice for moisture surveying of roofing and waterproofing systems using non-destructive electrical impedance scanners
- ASTM C1153-15: Standard practice for location of wet insulation in roofing systems using infrared imaging
- ASTM: E376-96: Standard practice for measuring coating thickness by the magnetic field test methods
- ASTM B499-09: Standard method for measurement of coating thickness by the magnetic method
- ASTM D1186-01: Standard test methods for non-destructive measurement of dry film thickness of non-magnetic coatings
- ASTM D4414-95: Standard practice for measurement of wet film thickness by notched gages
- ASTM D4138: Standard practice for measurement of dry film thickness or protective coating systems by destructive cross-sectioning means
- ASTM E779: Standard test method for determining air leakage rate by fan pressurization
- ASTM E1827: Standard test method for determining building air tightness using an orifice blower door
- ASTM E907-04: Standard test method for field testing uplift resistance of adhered membrane roofing systems
- ASTM C1568-08: Standard test method for wind resistance of concrete and clay roof tiles (Mechanical Uplift Resistance Method)
- ASTM D7158 / D7158 M-11: Standard test method for wind resistance of asphalt shingles (Uplift Force/Uplift Resistance Method)
What Client’s Say
We have worked with ABBAE on dozens of projects over the last ten years on various levels and scope of services. We have utilized ABBAE for investigations, design consultation and multiple due diligence surveys of potential building acquisitions with great success. ABBAE consistently exceeds our expectations and we will continue to look for their expertise on potential upcoming projects.