Designing, engineering, financing and constructing sustainable, durable buildings with the goal of lowering operating costs is integral to our core business value. These actionable ideas were part of our mission long before energy efficiency became a real estate industry trend.
Allana Buick & Bers develops energy solutions to reduce the built environment’s energy consumption, acting simultaneously to enhance occupant comfort, reduce operating expenses, improve longevity of structures, and lower their environmental impact. Our approach to energy project development starts with analysis of owners’ objectives as it relates to a property or portfolio, and culminates with implementing solutions that meet or exceed our clients’ financial return hurdles.
Energy Master Planning
A critical component of our holistic approach involves creating an energy master plan that allows us to develop project scope across varying buildings and porfolios. As a vendor-agnostic consultant, Allana Buick & Bers evaluates a wide array of technologies and solutions, selects and implements them with the goal of achieving optimal performance. Our strategy of ‘conservation before generation’ allows for analyzing the net effect of conservation measures on energy generation, thereby delivering the most financially-optimal size for your renewable energy generation systems.
Our energy master planning services include the following solutions:
- Energy Conservation
- Energy Generation
- Energy Storage
- Energy Finance & Tax Credit Monetization
Project Delivery, Procurement, and Consulting Services
Allana Buick & Bers offers a variety of different services to clients ranging from turnkey solutions to specific consulting services. The following are additional solutions we can provide:
Allana Buick & Bers offers consulting and development services for collaboration and negotiation with government agencies, land owners, communities, and developers. Allana Buick & Bers has performed various project delivery roles in its engineering and contractor capacities, including acting as Owner’s Agent and other fiduciary roles on both public and private projects. Our services and roles include:
- Design-Build-Finance – Allana Buick & Bers delivers full service and turn-key solutions to its clients including design and engineering services, procurement and logistics, and construction. This delivery method has been very successful for Allana Buick & Bers clients in the past, resulting in lower costs and faster project completion and assists the client with a single-point of responsibility in an attempt to reduce risks and overall costs.
- Design-Bid-Build – Allana Buick & Bers commonly works for clients in a Design-Bid-Build capacity, in its role as consulting designer and/or engineer, and on most of its projects is the Engineer of Record.
- Owner’s Representation – Allana Buick & Bers has historically acted upon its client’s behalf in managing design and construction of energy projects, and other construction projects, including negotiating terms and conditions in contracts.
- Development – Allana Buick & Bers will participate as developer for solar and energy projects that meet certain criteria. Allana Buick & Bers has the technical and financial resources necessary to deliver a turn-key solution from project origination to operation.
- Construction Management – Allana Buick & Bers construction management services include all planning, coordination, logistics control and management of all facets, designers and sub-contractors for projects, including a range of commercial solar PV projects and other construction projects.
- Contract Administration – Allana Buick & Bers’ contract management services for its clients include ensuring compliance with the terms and conditions, as well as documenting any changes that arise during implementation. Allana Buick & Bers helps systematically manage the process of contract creation and execution for the purpose of maximizing financial and operational performance and minimizing risk.
- Quality Assurance – Allana Buick & Bers provides quality assurance to its clients in its capacity as construction administrator and construction manager. Allana Buick & Bers’ role includes ensuring that the engineering and design standards for the project are followed, and that compliance is documented. This enables clients to assess that the overall project and each component has been delivered in accordance with plans and specifications.
Since 1987, Allana Buick & Bers has performed procurement for complex projects for private firms and public entities. We routinely develop RFP packages for energy and other large construction projects on behalf of public agencies, government projects, and Fortune 500 companies. We have developed a systematic valuation process including standardized bid response formats.
Allana Buick & Bers believes that procurement strategies are most successful in driving down project cost and risks when they are developed as part of an integrated project delivery approach. Allana Buick & Bers’ approach to energy project procurement includes a cross functional team from both the finance and technical sides working in conjunction to lower cost and minimize and mitigate risks. Allana Buick & Bers’ overall approach to procurement has been developed over a 28 year history of development and running RFP’s for public and private clients in the construction industry.
- This experience includes development of specifications, standards, procedures, and design and construction drawings for each particular trade at a project site.
- Allana Buick & Bers prepares bid packages with highly detailed instructions to bidders to minimize the likelihood of incomplete bids leading to change orders during the construction phase.
- Allana Buick & Bers’ procurement expertise includes actual procurement of materials into inventory and final component assembly in warehouse and staging areas and on-site.
Allana Buick & Bers can implement a variety of procurement approaches, including Owner Furnished Owner Installed (OFOI) and Contractor Furnished Contractor Installed (CFCI) approaches. Allana Buick & Bers’ approach to procurement includes:
- Information Gathering: Allana Buick & Bers is constantly forming relationships with suppliers who can satisfy a diverse set of requirements across a wide range of energy projects that it develops for itself and its clients.
- Specification Development: Allana Buick & Bers works to develop the specifications, standards, procedures, and design and construction drawings for each particular trade at a project site.
- Supplier Contact: When one or more suitable suppliers have been identified, requests for information, requests for qualifications, and requests for proposals, are developed, and/or advertised, or Allana Buick & Bers makes direct contact with suppliers.
- Final Technology Review: Allana Buick & Bers reviews product technical information again, conducts references checks, and may include factory tours. Any requirements for follow-up services including installation, maintenance, and warranty are investigated.
- Negotiation: Negotiations are undertaken, and price, availability, and customization possibilities are established. Delivery schedules are negotiated, and a contract to acquire is completed.
- Fulfillment: Supplier preparation, expediting, shipment, delivery, and payment is completed, based on contract terms. Installation and training may also be included.
Allana Buick & Bers offers consulting and development services for collaboration and negotiation with government agencies, land owners, communities, and developers.
Energy projects face unique obstacles from evolving regulatory policies, permitting considerations, engineering challenges, and uncertain market conditions. We offer the following development consulting services:
- Energy master planning
- Solar implementation logistics
- Roof and structural impact studies
- Building envelope and site integration
- Energy analytics
- Production modeling
- Production sensitivity analysis
- Financing assessment
- Technology assessment
- Warranty assessment
- Racking and mounting assessment
- Foundation assessment
- Solar array design
- Sustainable mounts
- Seismic considerations
- Drainage design
- Roofing manufacturer approvals
- Roofing manufacturer flashing approvals
- Solar panel and module bidding and negotiation
- Inverter bidding and negotiation
- Racking bidding and negotiation
- Balance of system and plant
- Development Services
- Interconnection planning
- Site civil and environmental assessment
- Site meteorological and climate assessment
- Site production modeling
- Site production forecasting
- Solar PV module selection
- Solar PV inverter selection
- Planning, zoning, and permitting
- Contracts review
- Contractor assessment and selection
- Quality assurance
- Quality controls
- Design-build and design-bid-build
- Construction management
- Commissioning services
- Bidding and Negotiation Services
- Bid package preparation – RFQ and RFP
- Pre-engineering and site review
- Administration and Finance
- Economic feasibility studies – IRR, payback, cash flows and tax implications
- Solar system financing – PPA, ESA and lease
- Rate tariff evaluations
- Incentive application review, processing and expediting
- Utility interconnection application and expediting
- Finance structuring – project and portfolio
- Tax equity sourcing
- Financial modeling
- Proposal peer review