Many commercial and industrial building owners are seeing significant energy price increases on their billing statements. These increases occur more often on the transmission and distribution side, which are billed as demand (kW) and reactive demand (kVarh) charges on utility billing statements, as opposed to energy (kWh) charges. This has especially been true in California, where kW and kVarh charges have been steadily increasing over the past three years. Hawaii now has the most expensive power in the United States with annual increases on both the energy (kWh) and demand (kW) charges, with California not far behind.
Facilities owners have attempted many ways to decrease energy (kWh), demand (kW) and reactive demand (kVarh) charges, experimenting with a myriad of solutions. Ideally, the best practice is to conserve energy before generating any kind of power, such as solar. Because there is less power being consumed, clients can decrease the size of the alternative energy generator and invest less. Power optimization is a process of reducing energy consumption through the use of electric design and tools. It is affordable and has a 25 year proven track record of reducing kWh, kW and kVarh consumption by 7% to 20%, with typical payback or ROI in under 3 years. Essentially, all parts of the electric portion of a utility bill are reduced except for the fixed meter and customer charges, resulting in reduction of the watt hour component and energy charges. Optimization poses little to no risk to the facility during or after construction and has a positive cash flow from day one.
To summarize, power optimization does 6 exceptional things to uniquely optimize energy consumption while working as an alternative energy device and power generator:
- Magnetic Phase Balancing reduces waste, errant utility billing, power and demand, friction and heat in electrical loads while increasing equipment life.
- Passive Power Factor Reaction reduces the power demand of reactive devices and non-degrading, resonance-free loads for maximum efficiency and longest life. This brings the power factor of the entire building to the maximum so energy is consumed more efficiently.
- Harmonic Filtering reduces the billed kWh energy charges and eliminates resonance of non-power currents.
- Transient Energy Conversion absorbs energy above and below operational voltage through surge protection and self-healing magnetic chokes. This reconstitutes and returns energy to the device as usable power.
- Proprietary Chokes reduces magnetic fields and generates currents from each phase and injects them into adjacent phases as usable power and energy.
- Carbon Footprint Reduction improves building inductive load performance and reduces energy and demand consumption around the clock.