Allana Buick & Bers, Inc. (ABBAE) offers seminars and training classes in a variety of formats. From 60 minute ‘lunch and learns’ to half and full day seminars. All of these courses provide AIA Continuing Education Learning Units. Below is a summary of our most popular classes.
Roofs Can Last in Excess of 30+ Years- But Most Do Not
- Examples – 30+ year sustainable traditional BUR
- Visual essay – bad roof construction vs. proper details and methodology
- Forensic evaluation – 18 year old PVC
- Evaluation – 12 year old SBS roof membrane premature failure
- Case Study – 12 year old copper roof; failure and repair
Architectural Sheet Metal Roofing & Flashings
- Review the major types of sheet metal and see how they differ in corrosion resistance, finishing, joining, and where to use
- Cross compare the various types of sheet metal
- Review how common components such as parapets, gutters, flashings, stops and edge material are incorporated
Understanding Metal Roofing Systems
- Review difference between hydrokinetic and hydrostatic metal roofing
- Describe the 3 basic types of metal roofs
- Review requirements for each roof system
- Understand metal roofing underlayment
- Learn from several metal roofing forensic case studies
Proper Selection of Roof Types- 12 Roof Types Considered
- Deciding which roof type is best for your project
- How geography affects roof type
- Design issues
- How roof type affects materials selection
- Aesthetics vs. Durability
Understanding and Design of Garden Roofs
- Review examples of intensive and extensive roof garden systems
- Provide examples of structural and drainage components
- Understand examples of fluid applied and sheet membrane systems and examples of insulation and protection
Waterproofing for Garden Roofs
- Overview and history of Garden Roofs
- Extensive vs. Intensive
- Systems & components overview
- Best type for roof garden
- Systems selection for waterproofing protection and roof insulation
EXTERIOR WALL PROGRAMS
Curtain Wall Seminar
- Overview of what a Curtain Wall system consists of. Review of Curtain Wall Assemblies in use in the United States.
- Structural Elements. Rainscreen and Barrier Elements: Barrier Wall Systems. Rain Screen Systems.
- Drainable Wall Assemblies. Metal Wall Panels. GFRC.
- Glass. Design Issues. Sealants.
Introduction to Curtain Wall and Window Wall System Issues
- Review of U.S. curtain wall assemblies
- Design Issues associated with thermal, wind, seismic, and live loads
- Rainscreen and barrier elements
- Energy performance
- Curtain wall testing
- Structural and seismic elements
- Window wall failure case study
High Performance Buildings
- What is a high performance building?
- Understand how to lower energy costs while increasing operating income
Understanding Exterior Walls and Code Changes
- New building code and construction document requirements
- Differences in exterior wall types and systems
- Shift in responsibilities, scopes of work and standards
- Real facts on building science and properties of materials
- Critical details for the interfacing of components
Below Grade Waterproofing – Design Considerations and Common Failures
- History, properties, types and applications
- Advantages to using a bentonite waterproofing system
- Blindside construction procedures and their impact on bentonite based waterproofing systems
- Case study of failed blindside waterproofing system with review of repair procedures
- Provide an overview of basic primer on Thermal and Moisture Protection issues
- Review ground water control, dampproofing, waterproofing, precipitation control and roofing materials
- Review condensation control, thermal control, flashing and expansion joints
Waterproofing is Not Skin Deep: Lath and Plaster Systems
- Understanding moisture management in stucco wall assembly
- Suitable substrates for stucco in Type III and Type V buildings
- Proper lathing and flashing techniques
- Understanding scratch, brown and finish coats for 1 and 3 coat plaster systems
BUILDING ENVELOPE PROGRAMS
Air Barrier Assemblies and Continuous Insulation
- Air Management vs. Moisture Management
- Moisture Movement in Walls
- Air Barrier Principles and Design Considerations.
- Why the Need for Continuous Insulation?
- Continuous Insulation Design Considerations and Local Code Requirements
Air and Water Testing of Building Envelope Assemblies
- Understand what building envelope tests are code required or are just a plain good idea
- Differences in standards for water testing, testing methods for horizontal waterproofing assemblies
- Differences in test methods for sealat and coating adhesion and peel tests and standards in air barrier testing
- See live videos of window, air barrier testing and AFVM and what should be done when testing provides inadequate results
Life Expectancy & Longevity of Building Envelope Systems
- Review the significant lifespan variation for similar building assemblies
- Review qualities that impact lifespan and maintenance
- Understand the cost-savings, ROI analysis of higher quality building envelope systems
- Take steps to ensure an optimized building lifespan to meet the owner’s objectives
- Impact of maintenance and operating cost on lifespan
BUILDING MAINTENANCE PROGRAMS
How to Know When Plumbing Systems Go Bad…. and How to Plan For It.
- Plumbing 101 – understanding basic plumbing components and what can cause reserve underfunding
- Show examples of easily accessible plumbing components and the more expensive components hidden behind walls
- Show examples of plumbing problems hidden within the pipes themselves
- Look at a case study of a recent HOA/AOAO projects
- Describe the remaining useful life of plumbing systems per most reserve studies, and according to some recent experiences
Prevention of Concrete Spalling
- Understanding causation of concrete spalling
- Preventative measures for preventing spalling
- Provide a review of what items to include in cost estimating for the reserve study
- Review repair techniques
- Review the types of other repairs that should be done at the same time as spall repairs, and the implication for cost estimating
What To Look for In A Property Walk
- Provide an overview of what constitutes ongoing maintenance, corrective maintenance, preventative maintenance and predictive maintenance (forensic investigation)
- Introduce you to maintenance terminology for HOA’s/AOAO’s and similar common interest communities
- Show examples of the most common maintenance issues found in HOA’s/AOAO’s
- Introduce you to the maintenance planning process – management by walking around
Alternative Energy Applications of Solar Thermal Collectors
- Solar Thermal Heat Pump – What is this?
- How can Solar Thermal Heat Pump be integrated into the Chilled Water system?
- How can Solar Thermal Heat Pump be integrated into the Hot Water Production Plant?
- Understanding the economics of Solar Thermal Heat Pump – The potential savings?
Emerging Energy Reduction Technologies
- Understand reducing energy consumption with building envelope treatments
- Review emerging energy reduction (conservation) technologies
- Understand the deeper expense reduction with demand flexibility and the emerging solar generation and storage combinations
- Understanding the return on investment (ROI) for conservation and generation
An Engineering Approach to Renewable Energy Master Planning and Critical Best Practices Protocols for Solar PV
- Holistic approach to achieving energy conservation measures and implementation of renewable/alternative energy programs
- This presentation will discuss the many types of PV systems now on the market, design impact on the water tightness of roofs and what PV installation means to building longevity and sustainability
- Implementation of best practices, quality assurance monitoring, post installation diagnostics, and operation and maintenance requirements
Life Cycle Cost Analysis
- Develop a better understanding of the average longevity of typical, major building components managed by community managers – roofs, lighting, HVAC, landscaping, plumbing, on site drainage, pavement, etc.
- Learn some basic techniques for the correct evaluation of utility bills and the associated savings from typical conservation or generation measures
- Learn some tips including financial and practical calculations, for deciding whether to perform major maintenance, or instead, to replace major building components
Advanced Hygrothermal Analysis
- Understand traditional methods of hygrothermal analysis.
- Learn why traditional approaches to hygrothermal analysis are bound to fail.
- Understand where to use ASHRAE Standard 160 “Criteria for Moisture-Control Design Analysis in Buildings”
- Understand how Fraunhofer WUFI hygrothermal analysis software tool is perform ASHRAE Standard 160 analysis
Solar Solutions: Engineering Successful Solar PV Projects/DE-A
- Understand energy efficiency audits and solar photovoltaic feasibility
- Solar technology selection, design and engineering process, installation and construction, post-installation
- Mitigating risks and protecting the Solar PV investment including life expectancy of Solar PV; maintenance of PV systems
- Choice of Solar PV system and roofing issues associated with installation of Solar PV
Retro-Commissioning to Save Energy
- Instruct attendees on examples/methods to document the owner’s requirements, to improve the quality of design deliverables.
- Instruct attendees on examples/methods to verify that systems and assemblies perform according to owner’s requirements as stated in the Owner’s Project Requirements (OPR).
- Instruct attendees on examples/methods to memorialize the design requirements in a Basis of Design (BOD) letter.
- Provide attendees examples/methods to confirm that proper verification is provided to the owner, before, during, and after construction and that operating staff are trained in proper operation of the facility.
The Fundamentals of Proper Energy Conservation Design
- Understanding energy efficient design for new construction projects
- Review various energy conservation measures and prioritizing measures that make the most financial sense to a building/owner
- Understanding ROI (return on investment) for analysis and ranking of conservation measures
Unlocking Profit With Near-Zero Energy Solutions
- Conservation before Generation – “the cheapest energy is the one not used or generated”
- Energy Arbitrage with Storage – store energy when cheap (off-peak) & use when expensive (on-peak
- Optimize generation system size
- Reduce energy to “Near-Zero” or Net Zero